Friday, August 31, 2018

So How DO You Find a Good Lawyer?

One of the many lawyer ads off the Mobile, Alabama TV channels...

                Sometimes I wonder about the character of a city based on who you see on billboards and other ads there.
                It doesn’t hold true for all cities, but some I remember. 
                Take the Phoenix area for example.  There seemed to be billboards, ads in magazines, big-assed ads in the Yellow Pages for Plastic Surgeons.  Did that say something about the people of Phoenix or the Plastic Surgeons who lived there?
                Same thing with the Pensacola, Florida/Mobile, Alabama metro area except Lawyers were their thing there.  Lawyer ads on the billboards, lawyer ads on the TV, lawyer ads on the side of buses, lawyers with their own cable TV shows, lawyers with their own radio talk shows.  Again…did the abundance of these professionals speak of the population or that a lot of lawyers like to live by the beach?
                The TV ads were lively:  Lawyers standing on top of 18-wheelers… “Been injured by one of these?”  Another lawyer calling himself “The Alabama Hammer,” saying he’s been taking on bullies since he was a kid or showing him on a hunting foray blowing the head off a deer “to bring you the big bucks.”  Get it?  Bucks?  Deer? 
                How do you know a lawyer is all that and a bag of chips just based on an ad on TV or a billboard or the side of a bus?
                I thought back over the years about trying to find a good lawyer. 
The first time I ever needed a lawyer it was one of those things where my mom and dad called up a friend of theirs and he went to court with me and my buddy Catfish.  It was one of those teenage things where the two of us just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The case was dismissed and my folks got a bill for 200 1973 dollars.  I say 1973 dollars because I reckon that would be about $3200 in 21st century bucks.
The next time I needed a lawyer I opted to go with the guy who took care of legal business for the county where I lived at the time…he seemed like a nice guy.
That’s where I made my mistake.
Nice guy lawyers don’t necessarily win cases.
Another time a buddy of mine recommended a lawyer in the county seat.  I even asked my buddy to come with me because I wanted to make sure I remembered things.  Lots of times when I get stressed out details escape my notice.
I wanted to see an attorney because an ex was hassling me a bit and I wanted to see if anything could be done to legally make her stop.
For 50 of my hard-earned dollars Mr. Attorney listened to my tale, sat there for a minute and basically said there was nothing to be done.
“What you need to do,” said Mr. Attorney as he leaned back in his chair, pulling his hands away from each other so there was about 12 inches between each palm, “Is introduce your ex to a dude with a THING about this big.  That’ll take her mind off you.”
Well, I reckon that was funny.  All three of us laughed.  But I still imagined 50 of my dollars easing into his wallet.
There was this one time I had no family, no friends to make a recommendation for a lawyer.  I thought I came up with a pretty good way to find one.
                It was when I was a stranger in a strange land; I had just landed in West Virginia.  I had taken a new job and didn’t know a soul in town.  Then lo and behold I needed an attorney for a small civil matter.
                I did what any media person would do…maybe:  I decided to do an on-the-street survey.
                I took to the streets of the small town and stopped folks as I walked along:  “Excuse me, could you tell me who you think is the best attorney in town?”
                I must’ve asked about 20 folks.  Some people shied away from me, others answered me with a question like, “Why do you want to know?”  But I got about 12 recommendations and of those 7 or so were the same guy.  I had my attorney.  Nice guy too, all I needed was an official looking lawyer-type letter sent off.  He didn’t charge me a thing.
                Of course nowadays I know nice guys aren’t what you want in some cases.  You want the successful ones.  How do you find the successful ones?
                What was that line I heard?  “Hire the lawyer who has the most toys.”
-30-

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I've written lawyerly-sounding letters (never claiming to be a lawyer) for friends of mine who didn't feel like they needed a lawyer, but wanted to worry some dirtbag into doing the right thing. I wrote the letter; they signed their name. It usually works.

    I even got on the phone for someone when they fell for one of those "we have a warrant out for your arrest, but you can wire us money to fix it" scams. I calmly told the guy that's not how things actually work, that I knew he wasn't with the IRS (and even if he was, "taxation" is still a scam), and that I knew his name wasn't "Richard"... he screamed "You are not a lawyer!" and hung up and never bothered the person again.

    Ah, fun times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kent....Bravo for your engaging IRS pretenders. Not everyone knows how the IRS actually contacts you....it it's by mail....you go to your mailbox, there's the letter and all your innards fall to your butt. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete