Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Hotel Child: A Kid's View of Death

                When you’re a kid, when you’re new in the world, you have a different view of things compared to when you’re a grown-up.
                Take death for instance.
                There were sports that, as a kid, I thought were quite deadly.
                Not surfing, not rock climbing, not even spear fishing in shark infested waters.
                The deadly sports?  Handball and golf.
                Oh, and department store dress racks were deadly things too.
                I’ll explain…
                When I was a kid my dad took a job managing a hotel in Hawai’I and we lived there in the early 60’s.
                Among the tunes my dad would play on his hi-fi stereo would be those by Alfred Apaka, the great Hawai’ian singer.
                “Who is this?” I asked my dad.  “You play him a lot.”
                “That’s Alfred Apaka,” said Dad. “The greatest Hawai’ian singer.  He died not too long ago.”
                “What happened?” I asked.
                “He had a heart attack after playing handball.”
                “What’s handball?”
                “It’s kind of like tennis but you don’t use a racquet,” he said.  “A couple of players go into a room and knock a ball around with their hands.”
                That didn’t sound like much fun.  And why would you play it if it could give you a heart attack?
                I could relate to dying of a heart attack.  My Dad had one of those a few years earlier and it gave the family quite a scare.  I may have been a kid but I knew heart attacks could kill you. 
                So if Alfred Apaka died from a heart attack after playing handball, well, handball surely must be deadly, right?
                And golf.
                Every now and then when I was a kid my dad would come back home looking kinda sad.
                “Fred dropped dead at the Jefferson Club,” he told my mom one time.  “He just finished 18 holes and he was at the 19th hole, had a heart attack and died right there.”
                Golf was a mystery to me.  All I knew about it was it looked kind of boring.  I knew this because my dad watched an awful lot of it on TV.   Bunch of people standing around on a golf course watching Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and a bunch of other guys knock a bunch of little white balls around then the people would politely clap.  Boring.
                And apparently deadly.
                Over time I heard my dad mention other fellows he knew dropping dead on the golf course from heart attacks.
                And often at that 19th hole.
                Which I would later find out wasn’t a hole on the golf course at all.  Oh I reckon it was a hole of sorts, a watering hole.
                It wouldn’t be til I was grown that I realized these dudes were probably out of shape or had undiagnosed high cholesterol or whatever and over-exerted themselves.  But that was as an adult…when you’re a grown up a lot of the mystery of life vaporizes like so much morning fog in the sunlight of the day.
                And about those department store dress racks…
                When I was a kid I had 3 grandparents:  My dad’s mom and dad and my mom’s father.
                “Where’s your mommy?” I asked my mom one day when I was real little.
                “Oh she died when you were just a baby,” she said.
                “Why did she die?”
                “We all die,” said my mom with a smile.  “But she was in a department store in Toledo and a clerk wasn’t looking while she was pushing a dress rack through the store and it hit your grandmother and she died later.”
                That’s all my mom thought I needed to know, I reckon.
                I had a vision of my poor old mom of my mother minding her own business, shopping at a big-city department store and along comes this dress rack and just rolls over her like some poor ol’ critter on the highway.
                It would be many years later that I came to realize that the dress rack encounter probably caused a blood clot that resulted in deep vein thrombosis and it was that that killed her.
                But for years whenever I was in a big store as a kid I would watch out for those rolling clothes racks.
                One killed my grandma.
                I didn’t want one rolling over me and squishing me like a bug.

                                                                                                -30-

1 comment:

  1. Omg! This is the funniest thing I have ever read! Realizing that I'm going to miss you even more and your amazing sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete