Sunday, April 17, 2016

THE HOTEL CHILD: A SIX PACK FOR THE 5TH GRADERS




By Grant McGee
My dad was a hotel manager.  I always thought he was The World’s Greatest Hotel Manager, but that’s probably because he was my dad.

When I was a kid we used to live in the hotels he managed.  We lived in places like New York City and Buffalo, New York and Honolulu, Hawai’I and Baltimore and my dad’s hometown of Roanoke, Virginia.

The neat thing about living in Roanoke was that was where his parents, my grandparents lived.  The big ol’ hotel he managed was smack dab downtown but my grandparents place was out on the edge of the city near a big, wide-open field that had a great view of the Blue Ridge Mountains that surrounded the city.

Out at my grandparent’s place is where I made all my friends.  There was Catfish and Dick and Lewis and Kevin.  Whenever I was in the neighborhood we always spent our time running through yards playing army and doing stuff boys did in the mid-twentieth century.

From time to time the guys would come visit at my home in the big hotel downtown.  We spent our time swimming in the big pool or running up and down the hotel stairwells playing James Bond because in big buildings you played James Bond and out in suburbia you played army because in the mid-twentieth century we hadn’t heard of urban warfare because the twenty-first century hadn’t come yet and The Vietnam War was on TV and James Bond was in the movies.

After one fun day at the hotel, me and Dick and Lewis and Catfish were at the family apartment watching the black-and-white TV.  My dad was working and my mom was out somewhere.

“Hey,” said Lewis.  “You get room service don’t you?”

“Yeah,” I said.  “That’s how we get dinner or lunch unless mom fixes something.”

“Can you order beer?” asked Lewis.

Everyone stopped watching cartoons and turned and looked at me with wide-eyed anticipation.

I sat on the sofa dumbfounded.  I’d never thought of that before.  COULD I order beer from room service?

In all my 11 year old, 5th grade wisdom I thought, “Why not?”

“Maybe,” I said.  So I picked up the phone and dialed the number for room service.

“Ask for Budweiser,” said Catfish.

“Hello,” I said, lowering my voice so I thought I sounded like my dad, “This is the McGee residence, would you please send up a six-pack of Budweiser?”

“Yes sir,” said the voice on the other end.

“Thank you,” I said in my deep voice.

I hung up.

Lewis jumped up.

“We’re gonna get beer!” he yelled.

“Wow,” said Dick, “That’s so cool, just call and ask for beer and they send it up.”

Minutes later there was a knocking at the door of the apartment.  I opened it up and in walks a waiter holding a tray atop which there is a six-pack of Budweiser glistening in its coldness.
I had gone to my desk and scooped up all my change to give him a tip that probably consisted of 83 cents or something like that.

And he was gone.

And the cold beer remained.

“Wow,” said Catfish, “Beer!”  He was the first to grab one, then Dick, then Lewis.

“Aren’t you gonna have one?” asked Lewis.

“Naw,” I said.  “I don’t like how it tastes.”

“More for us,” said Dick.

So there we were hanging around on a Saturday morning at the big hotel downtown drinking beer and watching “The Jetsons” on the black and white TV.

When someone came in the front door.

“What are you boys doing?” A voice called through the apartment.

It was my mom.

Everyone scrambled to hide their beers.

I stuck the remaining cold ones out the window on a ledge. 

Mom came in the living room and surveyed all of us watching TV.

“You know,” she said, “I just know you four have been up to something but I don’t know what it is.”

I just smiled at mom and said, “Watching TV and drinking beer.”

Catfish turned to me with wide eyes.

“Ha ha, very funny, young man,” said mom as she went into the kitchen.

The rest of the morning passed and soon all the guys were on their way back home around lunch time.

Somewhere later in the afternoon while I was in my room playing with my train set my mom walked in.

“I have some questions for you, young man,” she said.

I turned and looked up at her.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Why is there beer in the kitty litter box?”

“There’s beer in the kitty litter box?”

We had a cat named Tiger, an indoor cat.

“I couldn’t figure out why he was walking through the apartment howling,” said mom.  “So I went to his kitty litter box and all of his litter is wet, and smells like beer.”

I sat there for a moment.

“Um,” I said, “I ordered some beer from room service and we drank it and when we heard you come in everyone was supposed to hide what they had and I guess someone poured theirs in Tiger’s box.”

Mom stood there for a minute.

“We just won’t tell your father,” said Mom.  With that she turned and left me alone with my train set.

“There’s three more cans out the living room window on the ledge,” I called out.
                                                                
                                                                        -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment