Friday, April 29, 2016

TALES FROM THE EDGE OF THE EARTH: A CHICKEN TALE

By Grant McGee



Johnny was one of the service advisors at the car dealership where I worked.

Johnny grew up in the Florida panhandle on the coast of The Gulf of Mexico, had his family there, made his home there.  Johnny had been a bar bouncer, sheriff’s deputy and an ace car mechanic.  He got tired of running his own shop and decided to work at the dealership.

Johnny spent a lot of time dodging the eyes of the service manager, spending a lot of time in back with the mechanics, shooting the breeze with customers because he knew a lot of people who came in and generally trying not to do anything close to work.

“I’ve got a chicken story for ya,” Johnny said one slow Friday afternoon.

I had been at the dealership for a few weeks, I guess I had earned credit with Johnny as someone he could shoot the breeze with.

“This was right after I was out of high school,” Johnny went on.  “The old man said I couldn’t live in the house anymore so me and three other guys went in on a double-wide mobile home down near Perdido Key.  That was before all the condos came in and shit.  We could rent this double-wide and all the rats and squirrels we could eat for $250 a month.

“Anyway, one of the guys rode a motorcycle everywhere and was always collecting chickens.  He’d come riding up from work on his scoot holding a sack and he’d open it up and out popped a chicken.

"Soon we had this whole flock of chickens running around our double-wide.  We didn’t get any eggs, there was chickenshit everywhere, but it was our place.

“One day,” Johnny continued, “We were sitting around.  Our motorcycle/chicken buddy was at work and another one of the guys gets the idea to have a chicken dinner.  ‘Hell,’ he said, ‘It’s just one chicken, he ain’t gonna miss it, how many are out there, a dozen?’”

“So,” said Johnny, “We got to chasing these chickens all over the yard and it didn’t do no good, there wasn’t any catching them.  They were dodging us, diving under the double-wide, running into the woods, stuff like that.

“Then I remembered, ‘Hey guys, I’ve got a blow gun,’ I said.  So I went and got my blow gun and started blowing blow darts at this one rooster.  Pretty soon he’s got like five of these darts in him and he drops.

“We all walked over and stood around the rooster and another guy says, ‘Well, what do we do now?’ And I say, ‘Well I reckon we chop his head off.’  So one of the other guys goes and gets a hatchet and chops that ol’ rooster’s head plumb off.

“So then I told the guys we had to pluck the feathers so I reach for the chicken and that sumbitch just stands right up with no head and takes off.  Freaked us out.  Here’s this headless chicken running around our yard.  We’re yellin’ and hootin’ and hollerin’ and soon this headless chicken just runs out into the road and gets hit by a car, big cloud of feathers everywhere.

“We ate at Burger King that night,” said Johnny.

About then another customer pulled int the drive and I had to go welcome them to the dealership.

                                                                -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment