Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Mysterious Woman


  Everyone at my father’s funeral was familiar to me.
  Except for one person…
  One woman…
  …who wouldn’t take off her shades inside the funeral home.
  I had no idea who she was.  I don’t think my mom cared about her being there, Mom had other things on her mind.  It didn’t seem like The Mysterious Woman knew anyone at the funeral.
  I didn’t know how I felt about this stranger in our midst.
  About 35 years ago my dad died.
  Dad “caught ‘The Cansuh’” as I euphemistically like to refer to getting cancer.  It started in that February back then when he started falling.  The doctors probed, prodded and looked with x-ray eyes and found an octopus-like tumor at the base of his brain.
  They zapped the tumor with radiation, tried to poison it with chemotherapy, all to no avail.  The thing grew and sent it’s “tentacles” deep into the reaches of Dad’s biomechanical control center.
  By the end of summer Dad was gone.
  For those of us who had watched him deteriorate his death was a relief…his suffering was done.
  It seemed as if he had been unplugged from life and spent several months winding down to the end.
  Things crossed my mind:  Where did the cancer come from?  Was it something he was exposed to in World War 2?  He had been near those atom bombs they dropped on Japan…had a renegade atom set off a renegade cell?  Who knows.  Maybe he simply just got ‘The Cansuh.’  Mighty trees are felled by blights and disease, what if cancer is the blight that attacks humans?
  Anyway
  It was time for the funeral.
  Mom was there, of course.  My brother and his wife were there…and me.  My sister was MIA from the event.  Cousin Doug was there.  A bunch of people I recognized were there too.
  And The Mystery Woman was there.
  She was a mystery because she kept her distance from the family and didn’t associate with us or anyone else.
  She caught my eye because she was wearing sunglasses inside the funeral chapel and wasn’t taking them off.
  She was much older than me, probably in her 60’s like my dad…she was just a touch dowdy but still attractive.
  “I’d bet that’s Zelda*,” said Cousin Doug.
  “Who’s Zelda?” asked my brother.
  “I reckon your daddy dated her in high school,” said Cousin Doug.  “Grandma talked about her some over the years.  I thought when Grandma talked like that it was being disrespectful to Aunt Johnnie, but I never said anything.”
  Cousin Doug was the only person I knew of that called my momma “Johnnie.”  It was a name my Grandma gave her.
  It wasn’t until I was grown that my mom told me the story of how she came to be called “Johnnie” and my grandma came to be known to her and my Aunt Becky, Cousin Doug’s momma, as “Madame.”
  It was the classic conflict between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law sprinkled with the cultural clash between South and North.
  When my dad came home to Virginia from his World War 2 Army service with a bride from Ohio my grandma was not amused.
  Grandma called Mom “Johnnie.”  Johnnie was the name of a maid who used to tidy up around Grandma’s big house.
  Grandma had a big house and took in boarders, the young women who attended the business college nearby.  At any given time there were 4 or 5 young women renting rooms from Grandma.
  Mom figured if Grandma was going to call her Johnnie she’d just call her mother-in-law “Madame” as Grandma’s house seemed to be like a whorehouse with those young women living there.
  So with Grandma gone since the 1970’s Cousin Doug was about the last person to refer to Mom as Aunt Johnnie.  None of us in our family thought much of it and it was something Cousin Doug grew up hearing.
  Anyway, back at Dad’s funeral…
  “What’d she say about this Zelda?” I asked.
  “She never said much and never said it a lot, just, ‘Your uncle should’ve married that Zelda girl.’”
  “I remember now,” I said to my brother and Doug.  “Just a bit of conversation between Grandma and Dad one time.  Just the two of them talking in the dining room one day while Mom was out and Grandma said, ‘You should’ve married Zelda.’  And I wondered who Zelda was and why Grandma would say that.”
  “What did Dad say?” asked my brother.
  “He said, ‘Now mother, I’ll don’t like it when you disrespect Louise,’” I said.  That was Mom’s name…Louise.  “Grandma and Dad didn’t talk for a few minutes after that.”
  I always wondered why some people don’t keep such thoughts to themselves…insulting other people, casting shade on other people, insulting people behind their back, to their face even.
  The service was about to begin and Mom was making her way back to sit with us after visiting with folks.
  My brother turned to me, “Don’t say anything to Mom about that woman.”
  “Do I look like I have ‘stupid’ tattooed on my forehead?”
  “Well…”
  Mom sat.
  The organ music began.
  After a couple of minutes the preacherman got up and started talking about Dad, saying good things about him and his life, saying those magic words, those holy words preachermen say at funerals.
  And soon the service was over.
  People were leaving, talking to Mom and my brother.
  I didn’t know anyone they were talking to so I didn’t see much sense in hanging around.
  I looked around for The Mystery Woman…she was gone.  I eased on out the door ahead of the crowd and looked around.
  There she was, walking away, down the sidewalk, by herself.
  Was it Zelda? 
  Or was it someone who worked with Dad.
  But if it was someone who worked with Dad surely she would’ve paused to say hello to Mom.
  Was she one of those weirdos who likes to go to strangers’ funerals?  There are such people.
  If it was Zelda why did she still care?
  Who was I to ask?
  I was curious about the story.
  But Dad never would have told me anyway, he wasn’t a storyteller…not in my eyes anyway.  He never told me shit about anything.
  Dad didn’t share.
  I could just see me asking him about Zelda.
  He and I would be sitting in the living room some Sunday afternoon, he’d be watching some golf game on TV like he always did and I’d say…
  “Say Dad, who was Zelda?”
  He’d probably turn, his face getting red and yell, “NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS, BOY!”
  The only time he seemed to ever confide anything in me was the time me and my buddy Catfish were in the wrong place at the wrong time and got into a “spot of bother” with the police.
  That was when my dad told me about the “spot of bother” he got into with the police as a teenager when he and some of his buddies ran the tollbooth on a toll road and got caught.
  What happened to Dad and Zelda?
  Why did my grandmother still talk about her after all the years?
  Grandma had this thing about wanting her two boys near her.  Cousin Doug’s dad didn’t give a shit what his mom wanted but my dad wanted to be that quintessential “good Southern son” who bought a home for his momma and daddy and lived nearby.  It’s how we ended up leaving Hawai’I and moving back to his hometown in The Southland.
  So if he’d married Zelda from the get-go he never would have left the old hometown.
  And I probably wouldn’t have been born.
  If this was Zelda who had come to the funeral how long had it been since she and Dad dated?  Fifty years?
  But what’s 50 years to the heart?
  I watched The Mystery Woman walk on in the distance until I couldn’t see her anymore.
  And i never mentioned any of this to Mom.

-30-

*Names changed…

No comments:

Post a Comment