Saturday, July 14, 2018

A Girl, A Car, A Full Moon, A Cemetery and a Bottle of Jack...

  A pic of the actual factual church and graveyard 
in Botetourt County, Virginia....

  Tyler’s car was gone.
  It was a weird feeling to look out the window from his room and…no car.
  He stood there looking out the window.
  “Oh,” he thought and snapped his finger.  “Bet Diane has my car.”
  Tyler turned around, grabbed his phone and punched in Diane’s number.
  Diane answered.
  “Hey,” said Tyler, “How are you?”
  “Probably better than you,” said Diane.
  “You have my car, right?”
  There was laughing on the line.
  “You don’t remember,” said Diane.  “You told me to drop you off at your house and you’d come get your car.”
  “Where do you live?”
  “I’m about two miles from you,” said Diane.  She gave him the address.
  “I’m on my way over,” said Tyler.  “I think I’ll jog over, I feel great.”
  “You’re probably still drunk,” she said.
  Tyler laughed.
  “I’ll be right over,” he said.
  Tyler threw on some clothes, splashed some water on his face and dashed out the door.
  He broke into a run.
  It was a sunny day with a hint of spring coolness in the air. 
  He thought about the night before.
  It was his birthday and no one was around to help him celebrate.  He decided to head on over to the radio station and hang out.  He grabbed his prized plastic drink cup, the one from Burger King with The Fonz from “Happy Days” on it, filled it with ice, grabbed a can of Coke, put it in his pocket and grabbed his bottle of Jack Daniels.
  Tyler set himself up in the sales office, propping his feet up on J.R.’s desk.  It was a passive aggressive move on Tyler’s part….he didn’t like J.R., J.R. didn’t like him so it was righteous that Tyler prop his feet on the asshole’s desk.
  From his vantage point he could look right through the open door of the production room where Diane was working on commercials.
  All he knew about Diane was that she was easy to talk to, and that’s why he came to the radio station in the first place, he thought she would probably be working.
  Tyler'd take a swig of Jack, chase it with a swig of Co-Cola and say, "AAAAY" just like The Fonz on the TV show.
  Now it was the next day and he was standing at her door, panting from the run and knocking.
  The door opened and there was Diane wearing an oversized red and black checkered flannel shirt and it sure looked like she wasn’t wearing anything else.  Her long brown hair falling on her shoulders.
  “Well HELLO,” said Tyler with a smile.
  “Don’t get any ideas mister,” said Diane.  “That’s not where you and I are at.  Come on in.”
  Tyler stood at the door.
  “I have made a big mistake,” he said.
  “You ran all the way here didn’t you,” said Diane.  “You don’t regularly run, do you.”
  “Nope.”
  “Dumbass.  You’re still drunk.”
  Tyler came in and plopped himself down on the sofa.
  “You sure know how to show a girl a good time,” said Diane.
  “I’m sorry if I was rude,” said Tyler.
  “Oh you weren’t rude,” she said.  Then she started laughing.
  “All I remember is taking swigs of Jack Daniels then chasing ‘em with Coke from my Fonzie cup,” said Tyler.  “Where IS my Fonzie cup?”
It was a Burger King "Fonzie" cup just like this one....

  “I’m sure it’s still in your car,” said Diane.  “You didn’t have it in the graveyard.”
  “The graveyard?” Tyler sat up and looked Diane in the eyes.
  “Oh damn,” she laughed.  “You don’t…you really shouldn’t drink, buddy.”
  “Well,” said Tyler, “it was a special occasion, my 21st birthday you know.”
  “Yeah, that was one of those things you kept saying over and over last night, ‘I’m 21, where’s the magic?’”
  Tyler put his hand to his mouth and raised his eyebrows.
  “So anyway,” said Diane, “you wanted to go on a mountain ramble and YOU WANTED TO DRIVE and I said ‘Aw hell no.  I’ll drive where you want to go but you ain’t drivin’.’”
  “So I finished up my work and we took off, we headed up the interstate and before I knew it we were in Botetourt County.  And you kept saying, ‘Drive, drive!  We’ll find the magic.’”
  “And you drove,” said Tyler.
  “Yeah,” said Diane.  “I’m bored shitless, it’s a Friday night, I ain’t doin’ anything.  Might as well.”
  “So you know, Tyler, I was born and raised here and I ain’t never been beyond Fincastle, ain’t got no reason.  So here it is 10 at night and we’re up at Eagle Rock and driving and driving and then you tell me to turn off the highway on to this li’l ol’ road.  ‘We’re going to Glen Wilton!’ you announce.”
  It was about that time that Tyler saw that the flannel shirt really was ALL that Diane was wearing.  This messed with his head for a moment but then he re-focused.
  “’This is my ancestral home,’ you said two or three times.  Okay, so here I am somewhere, oh I don’t know, 40, 60 miles from home at night and you direct me to an open field where there’s this ANCIENT, and I mean ANCIENT church with…”
  “I mean this is FREAKY, it’s a full moon night, an ancient church in the middle of nowhere.  We stop, you stumble around to my side, open my door, take me by the hand and lead me into THIS GRAVEYARD.”
  “It’s a nice place,” said Tyler.
  “I’m sure it’s real pretty in the daylight, Tyler.  BUT THIS IS NIGHT, THIS IS A FREAKIN’ FULL MOON NIGHT.”
  Tyler chuckled a little.
  “So we sit down in the middle of this f#*kin’ graveyard and you proceed to tell me about all your dead relatives buried there.”
  “The one I remember most was ‘poor Uncle Jim,’ you called him.  Your grandmother’s little brother…”
  “Cooked through and through like…” Tyler started but Diane interrupted.
  “’COOKED THROUGH AND THROUGH LIKE A POT ROAST,’ you said.  Yeah, that was 1918.  Poor sumbitch was working at the pig iron furnace, it was the end of the day and the new guy working the slag basket at the top of the furnace let it down too fast and Uncle Jim and the guy standing beside him got covered in molten pig iron…”
  “Yeah, and…”
  “Don’t interrupt me,” said Diane holding up a hand to Tyler’s face.  “I want to show you I was listening…..so there’s your great-granddaddy, superintendant of the pig iron mines coming home after work and there’s Uncle Jim’s dog howling in the back yard.  Your great-granddaddy walks in the house and and your great grandma says ‘I don’t know what’s wrong with that dog.’  And your great granddaddy stops, looks at the missus and says, ‘Momma, I believe our boy is dead.’ And about that time the klaxon horn from the furnace goes off, signal of a big emergency.’”
  “And then, and then, and then…you fell backwards and passed out or went to sleep or whatever right in the middle of your story about Uncle Jim,” said Diane.  “So there I was, in the middle of the mountains of Botetourt County, I didn’t have a f#*kin’ clue really where I was.  I’m in the middle of a graveyard on a full moon night and I have no idea how long you’ll be out.”
  “I sat there, looked around.  There was a big ol’ hoot owl somewhere off in the distance.  No cars.  No people.”
  “Then, all of a sudden, like 10 or 15 minutes after you passed out, WHOOP!  There you sit bolt upright again and pick up right where you left off.  I MEAN RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT OFF!  And you say, ‘They loaded Uncle Jim and the other guy on a train bound for Lynchburg and they were moaning, screaming and crying in pain.  And they died along the way.’”
  “You told me about a few more of your dead relatives,” said Diane, “then you got up, took me by the hand, helped me up and we walked to the car.  I got in, you got in and I drove  us back home.”
  Tyler sat there with a smile on his face.
  Diane smiled back.
  “I feel like shit,” said Tyler.
  “And so the hangover begins,” said Diane.  She pulled the car keys out of her shirt pocket and handed them to Tyler.
  “Reckon I’ll head on home,” said Tyler, taking his keys.  I gotta be at the station at 3.”
  “Drink a lot of water, take a nap,” said Diane.
  Tyler stopped at the door, turned, and looked into Diane’s eyes.
  She smiled and looked away.
  “Not today, Tyler,” said Diane.  “I appreciate you being a perfect gentleman while you visited.  Let’s you and I go out sometime, hunh?”
  Tyler smiled, turned and walked out into the sunny day.



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment