Saturday, June 16, 2018

Workin' at the Call Center Blues

    A "self-portrait" doodle I saved in my stuff...from 28 years ago 
when I was working at the call center...

  These days when I have to call customer service for a problem, you know, the credit card…the power company…whatever call center I have to call I usually begin the conversation by saying:  “Now if my tone gets a little angry or whatever it’s not directed at you.  I am frustrated with your corporate masters.  I’m sure you do a fine job, you should actually get paid double what they’re paying you, you should only have to work 30 hours a week and get paid holidays, full paid medical and a free bar in the break room for all the stuff you have to put up with all day…”
  I say this because I have walked in the shoes of those who work at call centers.
  It was one of those jobs that I worked once upon a time and I thought I could make a go of it when The Lady of the House and I moved to Pensacola in 2015.
  I had tried selling cars and got fired after 6 weeks….I didn’t sell enough cars…six wasn’t enough for ‘em.  I worked shuttling cars and pickups to and from the local auto auction and dealerships but that was basically just 20 hours a week at minimum wage.  I turned down a gig with a funeral home, being “on call” to go pick up bodies at any time of day and getting 10 dollars an hour…it was the “on call” part I didn’t like.
  So the local big call center was looking to bring people on board to earn “big coin”…for Pensacola:  $11.00 an hour.
  By the way, sidebar comment:  If you want to make a small fortune in Pensacola…go there with a large one.
  Anyway, back to the job at the call center…
  The deal was they put you through 6 weeks paid training and then you were on your own.
  The place was like a giant mutation of high school.
  During breaks many an employee would band together in their own little cliques and say snarky things about other people and cliques.  If that doesn’t bring back memories of high school I don’t know what will.
  I’d say on average the cops were called to the place about twice a week over hair-pullin’, nail-scratchin’, “cat fights” between female employees…I reckon because probably 80% of the call center operators were women.
  In week three they let us trainees take “real” calls instead of role-playing with each other.  I should say that by week three we were down to about 30 trainees.  We had started out with 60.  Some folks discovered that call center work was not for them.
  I had trouble navigating through all the stuff of this one customer’s account and the computers they had us on weren’t the fastest.
  “I’m sorry,” I said to Ms. Customer, “I’m new here and I’m having a bit of trouble with the system.”
  Almost as soon as I said that The Trainer comes to me and whispers, “When you’re through with that call put your system on hold.”  That meant I was to take no more calls.
  It turns out she had told that to everyone in the room.
  There was to be a “teachable moment” for the class…
  …about what I had just said to Ms. Customer.
  “Now class, Mr. McGee just told a customer that he is new here and he was having trouble navigating the system,” Ms. Trainer had just dished out that info in a calm, measured voice.  But then she turned a bit sterner and louder, “WE NEVER TELL THE CUSTOMER THAT WE ARE NEW OR PERSONALLY HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE SYSTEM.”
  Ms. Trainer looked around the room.
  “Our customers call here expecting to get top notch service.  Admitting that you are personally having trouble with the system does not convey the confidence we wish to portray to our customers.”
  “If you are having trouble it is acceptable to say, ‘I apologize for the delay, our IT crew is upgrading the system and it’s causing a slowdown.”
  I raised my hand.
  “Yes, Mr. McGee,” said Ms. Trainer.
  “So,” I said, “It’s okay to lie, to be dishonest in order to preserve appearances, for the sake of good marketing.”
  My statement was met by an icy stare and silence from the instructor and a few titters from some class members.
  Halfway into the next week I could sense that a career at the call center was not to be mine:  I had trouble dealing with the questions and the various products folks were calling about.  During lunch I called The Lady of the House and told her about my troubles in navigating the waters of call centerdom.
  “Just come on home,” said The Lady of the House.  “Come on home, have lunch and go right out to the auto auction and get that job back.”
  I thought I’d do alright at the call center, after all I hadn’t done half bad when I worked at one in Albuquerque in 1990.
  I was working for a temp agency and had done things like assemble giant-ass shelves for a warehouse, help move a department store from one mall to another and moving along the floor of a nursing home on my hands and knees wiping dried loogies and flipped boogers off the walls.
  It was that last gig that gave me the nerve to approach my handlers at the temp agency about getting a better gig.
  “Guys,” I said one day with a smile, “Don’t you have an office gig you can get me into?  I can type.  I can wear a tie.”
  The answer to my question was being assigned to the credit card division of Megabank’s** offices in Albuquerque.
  For eight hours a day I was placed in front of a pre-Windows green screen computer with telephone headphones I bought with my own coin at Radio Shack and took calls randomly thrown at me from various parts of the country.
  My job was to connect with Megabank credit card customers who were just over 30 days past due in a payment on their account.  The department I was in was called “Bucket 1.”  The “buckets” ranged from 1 to 6, that means from 1 month to 6 months past due.  The higher the number the more hard-assed the call center operators.  After Bucket 6 it was off to hard-core collections peeps.
  One day I was passing by the Bucket 6 room and heard one of the operators having a chat with a customer…
  “Yes ma’am,” said the voice from one of the cubicles, “I understand your husband died and your personal finances are in disarray.  Yes ma’am, I understand you are two months behind in your house payments….”
  Then the call center fellow raised his voice and added some sharpness, “BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS MRS. SMITH YOU USED YOUR MEGABANK CREDIT CARD TO MAKE PURCHASES AND YOU OWE US MONEY.  NOW WHEN CAN WE EXPECT YOUR CHECK FOR 275 DOLLARS?”
This was long before computers could measure how well a call center operator was doing.  Your success was based on how many “PTPs” you could get per hour…PTP standing for “promise to pay.”
  Get above 15 PTPs on average and you were doing okay.  Get an average of below 15 PTPs per hour 3 months in a row and you were out of work.
  So there was no time to listen to sob stories, no time to chat about the weather in wherever the cardholder might be…we were on the phone to get the cardholder to say, “Yes, I’ll send that payment to you right away.”
  It was a pain in the ass job, working to steer a conversation about someone’s personal finances.
  But I learned a few things about people.
  I learned that most folks in the Rocky Mountain states, more specifically the Mountain Time Zone states, were generally easy going and polite….at least in 1990.
  On the other hand, it seemed like every person I called in California thought they were lawyers.  Hell, maybe they WERE lawyers.  “I KNOW MY RIGHTS,” were words that eventually came from many a California cardholder.
  Texans didn’t seem to care.  I can’t remember the exact wording but it seems back in 1990 there was really no way to recoup the company’s money if someone in Texas didn’t have a mind to pay.  The cardholder’s credit would be shot to hell but Megabank wasn’t getting its money.
  Oh, it was from a Texan that I learned a new way to be an asshole.
  “Hello,” I started the call one work day morning, “May I speak with Mr. Wickerbill**please?”
  “This is Mr. Wickerbill,” came the reply over the phone from some town in the Dallas area.
  “Mr. Wickerbill, my name is Grant.  I’m with Megabank.  I’m calling to remind you you are 30 days late with your monthly payment.  We’re calling to ask when may we expect your payment.”
  There was silence on the line.
  “Mr. Wickerbill?  Are you still there?”
  “Yes I am,” said Mr. Wickerbill, “What’s your name again please?”
  “Grant.”
  And with that answer Mr. Wickerbill’s demeanor changed from that of just a guy on the phone to a Grade-A, US Prime angry-sounding asshole.
  “You listen to me, Grant.  Are you listening to me Grant?  Let me tell you something, Grant.  Grant, don’t you or anyone else from Megabank EVER call me at my place of employment, do you hear me Grant?  Grant, I’m talking to you.  ANSWER ME, GRANT.”
  “I’m listening, Mr. Wickerbill.”
  “I will pay this bill when I’m God-damned good and ready, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME GRANT?  But NO ONE from Megabank better ever call me where I work, ARE YOU TAKING NOTES GRANT?  GOOD BYE, GRANT.”
  And he hung up.
  I sat there for a minute then took a break to get my blood pressure down.
  The dude had just verbally beat the hell out of me with my own name.  It was different.  It was unique.  It was a weird feeling.  I wondered where the hell he learned that.
  It was a little thing I filed away for future use. 
  There were some lighter moments too, like the time I called Detroit early one morning.
  “Hah-low?” it was a kid answering the phone.
  “Hi there,” I said in my cheery Megabank voice, “May I speak with Mrs. Anderson**?
  “Jus’ a min,” said the kid.
  There was a loud clattering as the phone obviously fell on the floor.  I could hear kid footsteps running through the house.
  And then the kid’s voice.
  “MAMA,” yelled the kid, “THERE’S A WHITE MAN ON THE PHONE.”
  I leaned back in my chair and laughed a bit.
  As time went on with my big bill collector’s job with Megabank I saw no future in it.  My PTP average was 13 per hour for two months in a row.  They always posted the standings on the office bulletin board at the end of every week, like finals grades in college.
  And there were meetings.  Meetings for meetings sake.  It was a culture I was unfamiliar with.  Meeting to meet.  I hate meetings.  They make me sleepy.  It’s why I won’t go into politics.  I’d probably fall asleep during a key meeting and then reporters would be all over my ass, front page news, “MCGEE SLEEPS THROUGH KEY MEETING.”
  I went back into radio.
  While it wasn’t wiping dried loogies and boogers off the walls of nursing homes, call center work wasn’t my cup of tea.
  As a matter of fact, now I wonder why the hell I decided to go after the call center job in Pensacola in the first place.
  Like the late, great writer Raymond Carver once wrote:  “Who knows why we do what we do.”
-30-
** Fictitious name.

No comments:

Post a Comment