Friday, May 25, 2018

Tres Relatitos

A WOMAN IN THE MEN’S ROOM
  It was in The Southland a few years ago. 
  I was driving along on I-81 in Virginia when I needed to visit a tinklelarium…if you don’t know that word it means a bathroom…I needed a bathroom break.
  I pulled into a Stuckey’s.
  You know what a Stuckey’s is…it’s a travel store.  There seems to be fewer and fewer Stuckey’s these days.  They were a big thing back in the day, full of snacks and tchotchkes:  Rubber alligators and spiders, tourist travel mugs, t-shirts, stuff like that.
  Anyway I parked my ride and moseyed inside and headed straight for the bathrooms.
  I had been looking up and down at the stuff on the shelves so I really wasn’t looking up when I opened the door to the men’s room.
  The first thing I saw was a skirt.
  “Whoa!” I thought to myself and immediately backed out.
  I checked to make sure I was in the right place.  Yup, sign said “Men’s Room.”
  What the hell was a woman doing in the men’s room?
  I had half a notion to open the Women’s Room door to see if it was packed with waiting women but I thought better of it.
  What was a woman doing in the Men’s Room?
  I thought I’d make a joke about it when she came out but I thought better of that too.  What if she was a grumpy woman?
  The conversation might go something like…
  Me:       “Women’s Room overcrowded, eh?”
  Grumpy:  “Does it really matter?  Think I’m gonna be shocked in the Men’s Room?  I heard a saying one time:  If it’s something I ain’t seen before I’ll shoot it.”
  My imaginary conversation was interrupted by the opening of the Men’s Room door.
  Out strode a man…
  …in a Scottish-type kilt.
  A kilt, not a dress.
  I waited for him to pass and I walked right in to the Men’s Room.


A used condom by the side of the road.  Rudeness!  
Someone passing their load on to the rest of us.
Oh well.  It brought back a memory....

RUBBER ON THE ROAD
  I saw it a couple of years ago.
  I was out for a morning walk with the “dawgs” in West Pensacola, Florida.
  There it was, laying by the side of the road.
  A used condom.
  Or as we used to call them back home in the mountains, “a rubber.”
  It was the first time in a long time I’d seen one of these things by the side of the road.
  My first thought was how daggone rude for someone to just pass their load, a used condom, on to the rest of us.
  Then a condom memory came back to me.
  When I was just a wee lad of 8 years old growing up in Roanoke, Virginia me and my buddy Catfish would find these things, still in their sealed packages, out behind our elementary school. 
  When you’re 8 years old there are things you don’t understand.
  For one, why would we find these things behind our elementary school.
  Well, I would realize years later it was a good place to go “parking.”  “Parking” is when you and your girlfriend go to a place where no one might bother you and “canoodle.”  But I was 8 years old and had no idea about “canoodling.”
  The other thing I NEVER understood is why they were still unopened.
  I remembered the first time I ripped open one of the little packs.
  I had no idea what it was. 
  I asked my source of knowledge of everyday kid stuff, my buddy Catfish, what it was.
  When Catfish told me I WAS SHOCKED!
  As I looked at the rubber with an 8 year old brain I had a great idea:  "THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT WATER BALLOON!" 
  So I filled it up with water.
  It got bigger and bigger and bigger…bigger than any water balloon I’d ever handled…big as a WATERMELON.
  I whipped it 'round and 'round my head like I was Little David who'd picked up a smooth flat slick river rock for my slingshot and was about to SLAYETH Goliath....and FLUNG! 
  KOOSH!
  Oh HO!  I had discovered a secret weapon to use in me and my buddy Catfish’s frequent “battles” with the neighborhood girls.
  That was a simpler time.
  When a good time was sitting on my grandmother’s back porch having a fried bologna sandwich and washing it down with a Grapette.
  And throwing water filled condoms at girls as they ran away screaming.


OH COME ON, JUST ONE PARTING SHOT
  I got an email from the state employment agency that handles the Pensacola, Florida area.
  They were having a job fair.
  My blood pressure went up a couple of ticks.
  “Pensacola, sheesh,” I muttered under my breath.
   I opened the email and looked for where I could unsubscribe to their mailing list.  I clicked on the link.
  I clicked “unsubscribe.”
  “Why are you unsubscribing” asked the email.
  It gave me some options.
  I chose “other,” because, you know friends, when they give you that “other” choice they usually give you a box to elaborate on why you want to unsubscribe.  Being control freaks they seem to HAVE TO KNOW why you want to unsubscribe.
  And elaborate I did.
  With what space they give you.
  They gave me space for 150 characters.
“I have returned to New Mexico.  I will always remember Pensacola for low wages, age discrimination and quantifying job candidates versus qualifying job candidates.”
  The Lady of the House and I moved to Pensacola back in 2015. 
  I was glad to get the hell out of there 2 years later.
  I think I’ll leave it at that.
  Ma and Pa Kettle go to The Big City and found it wanting.
  I’m skipping a lot of details.  If I wrote them down I might sound like some grumpy old fart.
  Oh well.
  As my buddy Duane said, “Let it go.”
  I doubt I’ll hear back from the state employment agency that sent me the email.
  I’m sure someone will chalk it up as just another letter from some sour-grapey old dude.
  If they read it at all.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment