Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Last Boarding House


  The thing about a lot of towns is there’s a lot of history about each town that folks will never know about.
  I got to thinking about this the other day while I was riding my bicycle home after work.  I was pedaling through an old section of town looking at old run-down, boarded up houses that surely dated back a hundred years, maybe a little more.
  With a 21st century eye I looked at some of the bigger hulks, the two story kind, and thought of the cost to renovate them, the cost to heat them.
  Then I wondered why they were so big.
  I wondered if these big, old, rambling hulks had once been boarding houses.  I mean, it made sense…Clovis, New Mexico started off as a railroad town named Riley’s Switch.  So there’d be all these railroad workers who’d need a place to live.
  I’m kinda getting ahead of myself here because you might be one of those folks who doesn’t know what a boarding house is. 
  A boarding house is a place where people rent rooms…like someone might rent an apartment….and part of the rent goes for “board” or meals…it’s where the term “room and board” comes from, if anyone still uses that term.  The room might come with breakfast and dinner or just dinner.  The meal would be at a set time, the boarders would all sit around a big table and have a meal.  If you missed the meal  you were just shit out of luck.
  I remembered my encounter with an old-fashioned boarding house many years ago back east.
  I had taken a job selling advertising in bowling alleys:  Ad space on the scorecards, ad space in the lobby, ad space at the end of the lanes above the pins.  I had thought that with a wide-open field I could make a million bucks…later it turned out if I averaged out my pay over the time I spent hustling local businesses in a three-state area I was making about 4 bucks an hour, about minimum wage back in the day.
  It was a traveling salesman’s gig.  I spent many a night in cheap motels in small towns.  I needed a place to crash when I was done with the work week.  I was in a rebuilding phase of my life so I didn’t have much in terms of cash reserves to put down a deposit on an apartment.  I scoured the local paper for maybe a room someone was renting out of their house or something.
  Then I saw it:  “Room for rent, bathroom privileges, comes with dinner daily.  $200/month.”
  I decided to drive out and have a look.
  The address was out in the country on an old US Route that had seen better days after the interstate opened up and most everyone was zipping from town to town along the new highway.
  I pulled up in front of a run-down, ramshackle, two story, old farmhouse.
  I got out of my car, stood and stared at the house.
  A spry old woman came out of the front door.
  “Can I he’p you?” she asked.
  “Yes ma’am,” I said.  “I saw your ad in the paper for a room with board.”
  “Well come on up here,” she motioned. 
  I walked on up the dirt path to the front steps.  The front porch railing was covered in honeysuckle and trumpet vine.  The plants wound their way up the columns in front.
  It wasn’t ‘til I got to the porch I noticed a sleeping old man slumped in an old weathered arm chair off to a corner amidst more vines.
  “Come on in,” said the old woman.
  I walked in the house and was taken back to the 1930’s.  It was clean but everything was from another time.
  I walked past an entryway to the living room where two old men, maybe in their 70’s, were sitting back and watching some soap opera on the TV.
  She started walking upstairs.
  “Let me show you the room I have for rent,” she said.  “I’ll be honest with you, the man who was renting it died in his sleep two weeks ago.”
  I smiled and said nothing.
  She stopped at the top of the stairs and turned around.
  “You didn’t say anything,” she said.  “That doesn’t bother you?”
  “No ma’am,” I said.  “We’re born and we die, that’s the deal of life on Earth.”
  She chuckled.
  “You ain’t a hippie, are you?” she said smiling.  “That sounds kinda hippie-ish.”
  “I am what I am, ma’am.” I said.
  “What do you do?” she asked.
  “I sell advertising in bowling alleys,” I said.
  “Oh my,” she said, “you’re a traveling salesman.”
  I laughed.
  “Yes ma’am,” I said, “I reckon I am.”
  We continued down the hall walking on a runner rug that was probably new 50 years earlier.
  The old lady opened the door to a room and there it was:  Just a room with a single iron bedframed mattress and box springs, a small desk and chair, an old easy chair and a dresser.
  “New mattress?” I asked.  It sure looked like it.
  “Well yeah,” said the old woman.  “You know when people die things kind of cut loose.”
  “Ah,” I said.  “Yep, yep that’s what happens.”  I thought to myself how good it was she replaced what was probably a stained mattress, that she didn’t just flip it over.
  “The bathroom’s down the hall,” she pointed, “You have to catch it open when you can catch it open and I just have to insist that you not take too long in there ‘cos there’s three others here who use it too.  Oh, and that you rinse the tub out when you’re done.”
  I looked at the simple room.  It had an appeal to it.  Simple.  A window that looked out across a field that no one tilled anymore, a field where scrub trees were starting to reach for the sky.  Off in the distance was the Blue Ridge Mountains.  It would be a good place to rest, a good room where I could write.
  “You’d be the youngest in the house,” she said.
  I paused and pondered.
  To be surrounded by four old folks might be a good thing, I might learn something.  But then it might be seriously depressing too.  And if perchance I had a social life I’m sure a visitor in my room would probably not be tolerated.
  And me using a tub used by 3 other dudes…I mean, I’m sure that’s how people did it in bygone eras but I didn’t know if I was ready to go back to ancient times.
  I turned and looked the old woman in the eyes.
  “I appreciate your time, ma’am,” I said.  “I have a couple of other places I want to look at.”
  “Well now this might not be available soon, people’s always looking for places to live,” she said.
  “Yes ma’am,” I said.  “But if it is to be it will be.”
  “You sure you ain’t no hippie?”
  I laughed.
  “I’m a traveling salesman,” I said.  “Now I might’ve been a hippie in college.”
  “I knew it,” she pointed a finger at my face.  “Well now I’m a pretty good cook.”
  “I’m sure you are, ma’am,” I said as I walked down the steps, past the two old men watching TV and out the front door to the porch where I paused, looking at the fellow asleep off in the corner.
  I stuck my hand out and shook the old woman’s hand.
  “Thank you for your time, ma’am,” I said.  “It looks very nice.”
  I ended up living in town, sharing a ramshackle old house with a young woman who had a very active social life and the offices of a telemarketing vitamin company.
  I got the house’s old living room with French doors furnished with a double bed, a big desk and chair and a dresser. 
  I knew the girl upstairs had an active social life because from time to time there’d be a banging on the front door of the place at 1 or 2 in the morning and there’d be some drunk guy hollering, “JENNIFER!  JEN….IFFF….FERRRR” and she’d come down the stairs, I heard her, there’d be the opening of the door and quick, hushed talking.  There’d be footsteps back up the stairs.  Sometimes I’d hear rhythmic thumping coming from up there.
  I reckon Jennifer had her own bathroom because I seemed to have the downstairs bathroom all to myself.  To get to the bathroom I had to leave my living room and walk down a long hall.
  Sometimes I wondered if I missed anything by not taking the room at the boarding house…the window looking out across the field to the mountains in the distance.
  Sitting down to a meal with folks from another time.  Would there be macaroni and cheese?  Homemade yeast rolls dripping with sweet creamery butter?  Would there be good stories told?
  Or would it be stuff quickly whipped up out of boxes and eating in silence.
  I'll never know about the boarding house experience.
  No, I was in the noisy town, a busy street right out front.

  But at least I had a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment