Sunday, October 22, 2017

Appalachian Tales: The County Sheriff and Me


   I got a letter in the mail from the folks back home the other day:  They’re all fine, harvest is going on…and down near the bottom Mom wrote, “I suppose you heard Sheriff Bob’s ‘gone on to Glory.’”
  Well, no letter came in the mail from the folks back home the other day. I was just taking what some might call “literary license”…distorting the truth…just a tad.
  For one thing Mom wouldn’t’ve cared that the harvest was going on, she and dad weren’t farmers.  And for another, Mom lived some 150 miles from Sheriff Bob’s territory, she wouldn’t’ve known who he was.
  It all sounded nice though, to think Mom might send a letter in the mail.  It harkened back to another time, long before the Internet and cell phones and long before Mom “went on to Glory” herself.
 No, just like in a previous chapter when I found out “Big Deal” Thompson was dead…I was mindlessly surfing the Internet and typed in Sheriff Bob’s name to see what he was up to.
  Well, just like “Big Deal,” he was dead too.
  I’d say ol’ Sheriff Bob had had a good life, he was about 90 when he died.
  I liked Sheriff Bob.
  Sheriff Bob was the first sheriff I ever got to know up close and personal.  He was sheriff when I had a radio job back in the coal mining country of Appalachia.  I played Country music from sign-on in the morning until 10 in the morning then I’d go out and gather news.
  It was getting to talk to Sheriff Bob that I formed my opinion on how a county sheriff ought to be:  A county sheriff should know his people and by knowing his people, well, that helped him in dealing with what needed to be done…de-escalating things like a row between a husband and wife, taking a kid who had discovered liquor back home to have his parents dish out discipline and of course the more serious things a county sheriff would run into…burglaries, robberies and murder.
  For instance there was the time I was at Sheriff Bob’s office mulling over the reports from the previous few days and saw that Sheriff Bob had single-handedly caught Junior Whittel who had escaped a prison camp over in the flatland part of the state.  Junior had made a name for himself a couple of years earlier by stealing a car, shooting up his neighbors houses and taking a few shots at deputies who came to stop him.  Here in the future he’d probably’ve been charged with threats to national security and buried under the state prison for 20 or 40 years, but 35 years ago the judge realized Junior was drunk and having a bad day so he sent him off to prison for 3 years.
  Junior was a year into his sentence when I reckon he’d had enough of prison work camp life and escaped.
  Sheriff Bob was standing nearby going over some paperwork.  He was a big, tall fellow, just a bit taller than me and I’m 6-foot-3.  Handlebar mustache, full head of hair, no sign he was going bald even though he was over 50.  If he was in The Old West they probably would’ve written a song about him, describing him as a mountain of a man.
  “How’d you do it, Sheriff?” I asked.
  Sheriff Bob looked over the top of his reading glasses.
  “Do what, son?”
  “How did you single-handedly capture Junior Whittel?”
  Sheriff Bob chuckled, took off his reading glasses and leaned on the counter.
  “Well,” he said, “the prison camp is over in the flatlands, about 200 mile.  Now Junior ain’t that bad, he’s just stupid, and I ain’t sayin’ that as a mean thing, I’m just sayin’ it as a statement of fact.  I figured all Junior wanted was to come home.  You put a hillbilly like Junior down in the flatlands he’s gonna get homesick.”
  “He escaped on a Sunday so I drove over to Skinner’s Valley Thursday around lunch time,” Sheriff Bob went on, “I drove over to his momma’s place.  I figured a determined mountain man could make 200 mile in 4 days, walkin’, hitchhikin’.”
  “So I knock on the door and Junior’s momma opens up,” said Sheriff Bob.  “Howdy Mrs. Whittel.  How are you doin’?”
  “We’re doin’ alright, Sheriff.  Pulled in a good tobacco crop this year.  Sure could’ve used Junior’s help.”
  “’Well,’ I say to Mrs. Whittel,” said Sheriff Bob, “’I suppose you know why I’m here.’ And Mrs. Whittel looks down at the ground and says, ‘Yeah Sheriff, he calt me the other day from the flatlands said he was on his way home.  Come on in and I’ll make you some coffee.’”
  “So,” said Sheriff Bob, “There we are sittin’ and talkin’ and havin’ coffee, just us two.  Talking about The President, and The Statler Brothers TV music show and things…we’d been there about an hour when I look up out the window and I see a man way off in the distance across Mrs. Whittel’s field at the treeline.”
  “The man walks into the field and then starts running toward the house and about halfway across he stops.   It’s Junior,” said Sheriff Bob.  “ And I know he’s stopped because he’s seen my car.  Then his shoulders slump and he ain’t runnin’ no more, he’s walking toward the house.”
  “I get up and go stand on the front porch,” said Sheriff Bob, “And soon Junior is within talkin’ distance.”
  “’Hi there, sheriff,’ says Junior.  ‘Can I spent some time with my momma before you haul me back in?’”
  “’Sure,’ I say to Junior, ’20, 30 minutes.  Why don’t we sit down and have some coffee.’”
  “And so we did,” said Sheriff Bob. “Junior’s momma warmed up some biscuits for him and he talked about prison life and it was about to drive him crazy and he missed his momma’s cookin’, things like that.  And then he and I rode back to town.  And THAT’S how Sheriff Bob singlehandedly captured the desperado Junior Whittel.”
  Sheriff Bob laughed a bit, put his glasses back on and went back to his paperwork.
  It would be years later that I came to know that Sheriff Bob was a weaver of tall tales much like me and most storytellers.  Sheriff Bob did not have a “sixth sense” of when Junior would arrive at his momma’s house.  The morning of that day that Sheriff Bob drove out to Mrs. Whittel’s someone had “dropped a dime” on Junior, calling Sheriff Bob and telling him that the night before Junior was at his favorite beer joint over in Bluefield hittin’ up old friends for drinks.  Sheriff Bob knew Junior’s next stop would be his momma’s.
  A couple of years later I was in a bit of trouble myself.
  Oh not the criminal kind, it was a civil matter that wound up in court.  It was my first time in a courtroom in a legal proceeding, first time I ran up against a man in a suit…the opposing party’s lawyer….dressed up in a suit, pointing at me and saying things about me that just flat-out weren’t true.
  I lost my temper and started yelling at the fellow.
  The judge pounded her gavel, told me to sit down, only speak when spoken to and the next time I did such a thing she’d find me in contempt of court and put me in the county jailhouse for a few days.
  A couple of days later it was a nice, cool fall day, blue skies, white puffy clouds, one of my favorite kind of days. 
  I sat down on a bench in front of the county courthouse, feeling the sun on my face, breathing the cool fall air, Old Glory fluttering in the breeze, a statue to the Confederate dead nearby.
  Sheriff Bob came walking up.
  “Well, well, well, here’s the badass Grant McGee,” said Sheriff Bob with a chuckle.
  “Oh, you heard about that,” I said with a smile, looking off across the street, not looking the sheriff in the eyes.
  “Whole courthouse was talkin’ about it,” he said.  “Our very own laid-back country DJ and newsman loses his cool.  Well, you know, I don’t much like that attorney fellow either.  Ty Johnstone, he’s from Richmond.  I don’t know why he moved out this way.  Born with a silver spoon in his mouth.”
  “You know sheriff, that judge got me to thinkin’,” I said.  “What’s it like being in jail?”
  Sheriff Bob sat down beside me on the bench.
  “I like to think I run a pretty decent jail,” he said.  “Most fellows mind their p’s and q’s in there.  A country jail is a lot different than jail, say, in Richmond, Knoxville, places like that.  You type?”
  “Yes sir,” I said.
  “Well, I’d probably put you in the office, put you right to work typing up reports,” he said.  “Probably make you a trustee right away so’s you could be outside doing chores like sweeping and washing county cars.”
  “Hmm,” I said, raising my eyebrows, “I reckon that beats the hell out of laying around a cell doing nothing all day.”
  “Devil makes work for idle hands,” said Sheriff Bob patting me on the back. “Son, I’m going to give you some advice about being in a courtroom…keep your cool.  Listen to your lawyer.  Remember what the judge said, speak when spoken to.  Answer only what they ask.  It’s part of the other lawyer’s job to get you upset, to throw you off balance, to get you to react emotionally. Keep your cool.  Let your lawyer do his job.”
  “Thanks, Sheriff Bob."  I meant it, it was good advice.
  Sheriff Bob stood up, I did too and shook his hand.
  It was the last time I saw Sheriff Bob, but I’ve remembered him, his demeanor, his advice all these years.
  So long, Sheriff Bob.

                                                -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment