Saturday, September 23, 2017

Appalachian Tales: The Radio Wedding

  Word came from back in the hills the other day, Bobby “Big Deal” Thompson passed away three weeks ago.  He was 74.  Man, had it been that long since I’d last seen him?  Almost 40 years ago when he was in his 30’s?
  Actually word didn’t come from the hills, I just like saying that because it reminds me of the old days when you’d get a letter with a line in it like “Son, did you hear?  ’Big Deal’ passed away on December 1st.”  No, I was mindlessly surfing the Internet and typed his name in to see what he was up to.
  Well, he was dead.
  Bobby was the cousin of Tommy Thompson who had the big new car dealership in the little town tucked back in the hills and hollows of southwest Virginia’s coal country.
  Bobby was what some might call a “character.”  He was loud, he was boisterous, he was funny.  Bobby made money in the mobile home business.  His ship came in with the big flood of 1976 when a bunch of folks lost their little ol’ shacks by the rivers and needed homes.  He wasn’t profiteering, he was just in the right business at the right time.
  So after many years of being a “sportin’ man” (that means having many a girlfriend) he settled down with his beloved Barbie.  Yes, her name was Barbie.
  I was a morning disc jockey and newsman at the li’l ol’ AM station back there in coal country.  My boss was Grumpy Dave.  That wasn’t his name, but I called him that.  He was a grumpy man.
  Grumpy Dave came in the studio one day.
  “’Big Deal’ wants to have a radio wedding,” said Grumpy Dave.
  “So we’re doing a remote from a church?” I asked.  I envisioned having to work on a Saturday and broadcasting from some church.
  “No,” said Grumpy Dave, “It’s here tomorrow afternoon right after the news at 1.  Bobby bought a half-hour of radio time and he wants the whole town to know he’s getting married.”
  I leaned back in my chair and laughed.
  “Well that sure is different,” I said. “What am I supposed to do boss?”
  “Just go with it,” said Grumpy Dave.
  The next morning I talked up Big Deal’s wedding on the morning radio show.
  “Heeeey, join us at 105 this afternoon for quite possibly southwest Virginia’s very first radio wedding,” I’d say.  “If anything, Bossman Dave says there’s gonna be a lot of Elvis music.”
  The appointed time approached.  People began to trickle in to the radio station lobby around 1230.
  Then just before 1 Big Deal burst through the studio door with a stack of Elvis records.  Big Deal was a big strappin’ fellow well over 6 feet tall.  He had coal black hair combed back like Elvis or Conway Twitty, whoever you thought had hair like that.  Big Deal was just one of those fellows who’s presence in a room got your attention.
  “Hey,” he said, “It’s my radio pal.”  Big Deal had a big smile.  He stuck out his hand.  We shook.
  “After the vows are said I want you to play ‘The Wonder of You’ by Elvis, that’s me and Barbie’s song.  Then just play Elvis for the rest of the time I bought.  You know I’m Elvis’ long lost brother,” he smiled and winked.
You know, Big Deal DID kinda look like Elvis with his jet black hair combed back, his white tuxedo and white shoes.
  So Big Deal and Barbie went into studio B with the big old fashioned boom microphone along with the preacher and a few friends and family.
  The preacher conducted the ceremony, Big Deal and Barbie kissed at the end.  When they finished kissing Big Deal flung out his arms, reared his head back and yelled, “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BABY!”
  That was when I played Elvis’ “The Wonder of You.”
  You know, that was the first time I’d ever heard that song.
  And now when I hear it I always remember Big Deal’s Radio Wedding.
  Rest in peace, my friend.

                                                -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment