Thursday, June 15, 2017

Tales from the Edge of the Earth: Thinking of Dad on Father's Day



By Grant McGee


                I haven’t written much about my father.  It’s only recently that I’ve been able to find the words to give him the praise he deserves.
                You see Dad was a career man.  What I remember most about Dad was he yelled a lot, it was tough having a conversation with him and besides, he didn’t talk much to my brother, my sister or me.   In our house if you wanted to communicate with Dad, you did it through Mom.
                I finally understood some of what happened in the past as I chatted with The Lady of the House about growing up with Dad.
                “So when you were a teenager your dad was in his fifties,” she said.  “Okay, you and I are in our fifties.  Imagine a teenager in our midst.”
                The thought of it made my hair stand on end.
                I got a lot of things from my dad though.  It was pointed out to me that a goodly portion of my love of music may have come from my father.  His “Hi-Fi stereo” was one of his most prized possessions.  He’d listen to a lot of records by guys like Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Harry James, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra and Jerry Vale and called it “the greatest music ever recorded.”
                Some of Dad’s “rules” that have stayed with me are ones like:  “You never get a second chance to make a first impression,” or “When the opportunity comes up to advance your career, take it,” or “When you’re talking to someone look them in the eye,” or “Always line up the buttons of your shirt with your belt buckle and your fly.”
                Dad went “on to Glory” 32 years ago.
                I always wanted to talk to him about “the stuff of life” but we never did.
                There was this one time when I was grown that we had a big yelling match and I’m sorry I did that.
                There were times I told my father, “I love you.”  I’m glad I got to do that.

                If your dad is still around why not talk to him on Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment