Tuesday, November 1, 2016

APPALACHIAN TALES: THE NIGHT I DROVE THE HAND-PAINTED ’56 T-BIRD



By Grant McGee
            The political candidate collapsed at the campaign event.  The cameras were rolling, she was stumbling, she didn't look so hot.  And they whisked her away to her house.
            “Why didn’t they take her to the damn hospital?” The Lady of the House said to the TV.
            “I would’ve,” I piped up.  “I learned that lesson a long time ago.  In my Boy Scoutin’ days.”
            “Oh do tell,” she said turning to me.
It was a camping trip in the Appalachians.  I was part of a rogue Boy Scout troop.  Actually there were several accidents in the years I was part of my rogue Boy Scout troop.  You should know the troop I was in was in an unnamed state and was not representative of what goes on in most Boy Scout troops across the country…I think…that’s why it was a rogue troop.  It was run by a cadre of men who wanted to get away from their wives for a weekend of drinking and carousing under the guise of taking a bunch of kids camping.
            Anyway, one night after all the scouts were asleep in their tents Scoutmaster Ray and his pals decided to sit around the campfire drinking copious amounts of Canadian Club, the official whiskey of Troop 62.  At one point Scoutmaster Ray stood up, lost his footing and fell into the campfire.  It wasn’t the fire that injured him, it was the spout of a coffee pot.  It pierced him deeply between the ribs.
            Scoutmaster Ray was injured and needed medical attention, there were weird noises coming out of his chest.  Assistant scoutmasters Henry and Bob were too drunk to drive him to town.  “Get McGee,” said Scoutmaster Ray.  “He’s got a learner’s permit.” 
            I was roused from a deep sleep.  I stumbled down to the lodge and was told of the situation.  Being a kid of 15 I was more excited about driving Scoutmaster Ray’s ’56 T-bird with the hand brushed exterior of yellow house paint.  We got him into the car. 
Scoutmaster Ray’s ’56 T-bird was one of those fickle cars that seemed to only start under it’s “master’s” touch.  I tried and tried and tried to start the thing.  Loud cussing by Scoutmaster Ray as to why the hell I couldn’t start his damn car didn’t help.  Finally, “va-ROOOOM,” it started up.
I smiled big.
I was told to take Scoutmaster Ray to the hospital.  I eased the car down the fire trail out of the woods, Scoutmaster Ray cussing along the way as each bump jarred him.
“Damn, McGee, I’m gonna call you ‘Cowboy’ from now on, you drive this damn thing like a cowboy.”
When we got out to the pavement Scoutmaster Ray bellowed at me even louder to take him to his house.  I figured he knew what he was talking about ‘cos I was a kid and he was Scoutmaster Ray so that’s where I headed.  I dropped him off and left him in the care of Mrs. Scoutmaster Ray.  And I got to drive the hand-painted yellow ’56 T-bird back to my house.
            The next morning I got a phone call from Henry wanting to know why I hadn’t taken Scoutmaster Ray to the hospital.  I told him the man wanted to go home so that’s what I did, besides, he was an adult and I was a kid.  Henry said I should have known Scoutmaster Ray was in shock and I shouldn’t have paid attention to him, just gone to the hospital which is where Mrs. Scoutmaster Ray ended up taking him. 
“You have a First Aid merit badge, you should’ve known better,” Henry said.
“And that’s how I got my lesson about you need to take people to the hospital when you need to take people to the hospital,” I said to The Lady of the House.
“Somehow,” she said turning back to the TV, “I don’t see you getting the job of political candidate chauffeur anytime soon.”

                                                -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment