Sunday, July 17, 2016

APPALACHIAN TALES: LEGEND OF A MIND

Actual factual photo of the hotel where I worked one summer.  It's in the mountains of southwest Virginia.  11 years in the future from then they would film "Dirty Dancing" there.  The natural lake has since dried up...



By Grant McGee
                It’s a Sunday morning.  It has rained.  The clouds that brought the rain are drifting off to the northeast, going wherever clouds go. 
                I’m remembering  summer mountaintop mornings, mornings after a rain, how the clouds hugged the ridges then lifted off to give way to a bright, sunny day.  I remembered one place where I saw such mornings, a mountaintop hotel where I had a summer job as a desk clerk.  That’s when I remembered Bob.
                I remember Bob because he was probably the first guy I’d ever met whose nice “American Dream” life had turned into a giant train wreck.  He may have been derailed but he kept smiling and would tell those who would listen how great it was to be alive.
                Bob was the groundskeeper at the hotel.  He mowed the grass, trimmed the hedges, swept the driveway.  Just like me, he was working six days a week for a room, three meals a day and probably less than $75 a week for pay.
                After a day’s work most of us who’d put in a full day would kick back on the front porch of the employee’s bunkhouse, talk about the guests and shoot the breeze in general.  Most of us were just out of high school or on summer break from college.  Not Bob, he was probably approaching 50, his age revealed by stories he told of days gone by and his grizzled salt-and-pepper beard.
                “I had it all,” Bob said one evening.  It was just Bob and me watching the sun go down on another day.  “Three beautiful daughters, married to my high school sweetheart, my own business, nice home in the suburbs, country club membership.”
                Bob went on to tell the story of how his business partner had siphoned off money from the business leaving him bankrupt.
                “I lost it all,” Bob said.  “I couldn’t touch my ex-partner, I couldn’t find work, I lost the house, my wife packed up the girls and moved back with her parents.  Then I started drinking.  The turning point came when I was hiding in the bushes of my ex-partner’s house with a pistol in my hand.  I was going to shoot him.  Then I heard his kids inside his house.  I thought, ‘What am I doing?’  I walked away.  The next day I started hitchhiking.”
                Bob had been to a lot of towns and worked a lot of jobs.  His free and easy drifter’s life had gotten him in trouble with more than one small town police chief or county sheriff.  “I have a great collection of books at a widow’s house in a town on the state line.  Maybe on one of your days off you could run me over there and we could load them in your trunk.”
                I smiled at the prospect of a road trip.
                “But then the town police chief said if he ever caught me there again he’d find some way to lock me up for a while.  He said the inmates could teach me a lesson or two about ‘real life.’”
                My road trip dreams quickly vanished.  I figured the guy who brought Bob back to town would be in just as much hot water as Bob.
                Bob became resident psychologist, poet, singer, storyteller and all around good guy for us that mountaintop summer.  Some folks wondered if Bob’s stories were true.  That seemed to be answered on day when his daughters and wife showed up to visit him on a day off.  A few days later I found him on the front porch of the bunkhouse, one of the rare times he looked down and out.  In his hand was a sheaf of papers.
                “I’m supposed to pay alimony and child support,” he said, staring off into the distance.  “Every month, four times what I make here in a month.”
                “What’re you gonna do, Bob?” I asked.
                “Well, I heard there’s good work in Louisiana in the Gulf on the oil rigs.  What they want here,” he shook the papers, “is about half of what I’d make there.  I could get by.”
                I saw he didn’t feel much like talking and as a guy who hadn’t even reached his 20th birthday, who had no concept of lawyers and such, I didn’t know what to say.  I turned in for the night.
                The next morning I opened the door to my room and a paper that had been stuck in the latch fell on the ground.  I opened it up.
                “For my idealistic friend,” it read.  “Here’s a poem for you.”  It was a short work, the opening said it was written by a schoolboy in the 14th century and was titled “A Wistful Boy’s Dream.”  I held on to that piece of paper for years, even kept it locked up with my important papers.  Then wouldn’t you know it, some burglar swiped the box in a break-in in Roswell years ago.  All I remember is some reference to “gilly flower” and the phrase “…and every lad shall have his lass.”
                Bob was gone.  I never heard from him again.  But from him I got brief lessons on surviving, doing what you have to do to get by and ultimately doing what’s right.
                And so I stood in the early morning with my hands in my pockets and remembered.  I wanted to remember Bob, remember him by writing about him.  And so I have.

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment